Monday, April 28, 2014

Through My Shades: Racism


Racism
It's sad that this word is still relevant and that it still holds meaning down to the core.  The recent racist rant by the owner of the L.A. Clippers is simply a magnifying glass of what has and what still is in our society, communities and workforce.  This past week at work, People Magazine
named Lupita Nyong’o as the cover of the “The World’s Most Beautiful” issue.  This was a beautiful moment. This was a moment that broke barriers.  However, I received a call that day asking how People felt about the backlash the magazine were receiving. I immediately thought to myself "backlash?"  What was she talking about? I'm thankful for my fore-fathers who have paved a way for me to get this far but there are questions that still remain.  There are still questions I ask myself.  Why do I not see people even at my job that resemble me? Does the color of my skin affect whether I am hired or not?   Why is it that amazing actresses such as Kerry Washington and Lupita Nyong’o do not cover more issues?  Questions like these are shunned and pronounced not “politically correct”.  The truth is we have come a long ways yet we still have a long ways to go.  































\

No comments:

Post a Comment